Monster Adapter announced the LA-NE1 adapter, which supports autofocus, aperture control and data transmission between Contax N-Mount lenses or Sony E-Mount camera systems.
Although the Contax N and N Mount cameras were very short-lived they did produce nine lenses for it by Carl Zeiss. The Contax N cameras consisted of two film SLRs and the N digital.
Contax N, a Japanese DSLR camera that was released in 2002, was created by Contax Japan. It took two years for the six-megapixel camera to be released. The public and press didn’t like it so it was taken off the market in less than a year. It was the first full frame DSLR, and it actually beat Canon’s EOS-1Ds that were released later in the year.
While there weren’t many Contax N-mount lens options, they aren’t common on secondhand markets.
Monster Adapter lists all nine lenses compatible with the adapter, as well as their year of production.
- Carl Zeiss N Planar 50mm f/1.4 (released 2000)
- Carl Zeiss N Planar 85mm f/1.4 (released in 2002).
- Carl Zeiss N Makro–Sonnar T* 100mm F/2.8 (Released 2002)
- Carl Zeiss N Teleapotessar 400mm f/4 (released in 2002).
- Carl Zeiss N Vario–Sonnar T* 17–35mm f/2.8 (released 2002).
- Carl Zeiss N Vario–Sonnar T* 24-85mm F/3.5-4.5 (released in 2000).
- Carl Zeiss N Vario–Sonnar T* 28 – 80mm f/3.5 -5.6 (released in 2002).
- Carl Zeiss N Vario–Sonnar T* 70–200mm f/3.5–4.5 (released in 2002).
- Carl Zeiss N Vario–Sonnar T* 70–300mm f/4–5.6 (released in 2000).
The LA-NE1 Contax N-Sony E Adapter
The adapter supports data transmission between the lens (and the camera), which includes aperture control and autofocus for all nine N-Mount lenses. The adapter also supports an aperture ring if the lens has one.
Monster Adapter is so confident in the LA-NE1’s ability to provide N-Mount lens with eye-AF (on people and animals), as well as high-speed, focus-tracking shooting. Contax lenses can also be used with the Sony’s in-body imaging stabilization.
The adapter includes a tripod mount that can be detached for heavier optics. It also features a dust-proof rubber band on the E-mount side bayonet, which is claimed to reduce water and dust intrusion.
Monster Adapter has a complete list of Sony supported cameras.
Pricing and availability
For $360, the Monster Adapter LA-NE1 Contax N-Son E Adapter can be purchased directly from the company’s site.